International People’s Assembly
It is common knowledge that we are at a decisive moment for human survival and for the biodiversity of our planet. There is a serious environmental and public health crisis, caused by crimes committed continuously by the greed for profit. The research and scientific data are more and more evident, which you know, and we don’t need to quote them. Meanwhile, all the peoples of the world, in the countryside and in the city, feel the consequences of this crisis every day.
According to scientific studies, if the current patterns of land use, deforestation, predatory mining, the agribusiness model dependent on pesticides that kill biodiversity, the monoculture of transgenic crops, and accelerated urbanization are maintained, 4.5 billion people will face problems with the quality and access to water and food production. Climate change affects people’s lives and agricultural productivity.
The question, therefore, is no longer whether there is an environmental crisis, but how to address it.
Financial capital and its banks and transnational corporations control economies, the exploitation of nature, and governments. They are to blame, and they will never offer real solutions. They just want a green capitalism! And the international institutions of the United Nations system have failed.
The way to preserve life, for people and the planet, dear ladies and gentlemen, is clearly in another direction. It will be necessary to mobilize society as a whole, its organizations, popular movements, scientists, and environmental entities, and form an agreement around urgent and necessary measures:
- Putting human life and nature above private property. The private appropriation of common goods essential to the life of all, such as land, water, air, and biodiversity, is not acceptable. Their care must be attributed to the people, as a collective right and responsibility for the well-being of all people.
- Promote public policies that confront hunger and promote food sovereignty, supporting peasant and traditional peoples, based on the principles of agroecology. To make a global effort to support, with all the necessary resources, a worldwide campaign to plant native and fruit trees.
- To guarantee respect for the traditional knowledge of the people, with its forms of managing nature, which have already lasted for centuries, and scientific knowledge, in the search to guarantee production and human reproduction, cultural and biological diversity, in balance with nature.
- Create financial mechanisms to support initiatives and projects of local populations so that they can carry out concrete actions to protect nature, forests, water, and healthy food.
- Penalize companies and projects that harm the environment and the indigenous and native populations, expelling them from the market.
- Change the energy matrix in all countries to sustainable forms. Make changes in the big cities, with measures to avoid pollution, to improve the lives of all, including public transportation.
- Take definitive action to protect the pollution of the oceans, lakes, and rivers, severely penalizing all aggressors such as the chemical industry, the plastic industry, and industrial pollutants.
- Ban the use of glyphosate, 2,4-D, and other agrotoxics, which kill biodiversity, contaminate the environment, and people’s health.
- Provide financial relief with resources from capital hidden in tax havens, for the protection and maintenance of peasant families, traditional peoples, and those who live in areas of risk in the cities.
- Create international mechanisms of policies, control, and inspection with the participation of scientists, governments, social entities, and popular movements from all over the world.
Capitalism, ladies and gentlemen, is heading towards social barbarism. In its search for profit alone it is leading humanity and nature to collapse. We are at a singular moment in world history, where solidarity and ecological values must overcome those of individualism and consumerism, only defended by the insane capitalists and their governments.
We defend a new path, with our agroecological plantations and breeding, in the protection of waters and nature’s goods, in our territorial resistances, in our solidarity reconstructions in the cities.
Against the project of death and destruction implemented by neoliberal capital, by the big corporations, we commit ourselves to life. This is the path we will continue to follow, building a fair, solidary, ecological and internationalist world.
And to you, rulers, assume your public responsibility, even though it is late!
April 22, 2021, Earth Day!
- IPA – International Peoples’ Assembly
- ALBA Movimientos
- La Via Campesina
- World March of Women
- Italy, Associazione Amig@s MST
- Italy, Associazione Costituzione e beni Comuni
- Italy, Associazione internazionale “Agorà degli Abitanti della Terra”
- Italy, Associazione Laudato Sì, Alleanza per il Clima, la Cura della Terra e la Giustizia Sociale
- Italy, Associazione YAKU
- Italy, CISS – Cooperazione Internazionale Sud Sud
- Italy, Comitato Acqua Pubblica della provincia di Cremona
- Italy, Comitato Acqua Pubblica Lago di Bracciano
- Italy, Comitato Italiano per il Contratto Mondiale dell’Acqua
- Italy, Forum Italiano dei Movimenti per l’Acqua
- Italy, Forum siciliano dei movimenti per l’acqua e i beni comuni
- Italy, Fuorimercato, autogestione in movimento
- Italy, MovimentoBlu
- Italy, Potere al Popolo
- Italy, Rede da Rione Sanità-Naples.
- Italy, Rifondazione Comunista
- Italy, Segreteria Nazionale Rete Radiè Resch
- United States, ANSWER Coalition
- United States, Border Agricultural Workers Project
- United States, CodePink: Women for Peace
- United States, PEP – Popular Education Project
- United States, PSL – Party for Socialism and Liberation
- United States, TPF – The People’s Forum
- Argentina, Jóvenes por el Clima
- Argentina, Patria Grande
- Brazil, ABONG – Associação Brasileira de ONGs
- Brazil, ADERE/MG – Articulação dos Empregados Rurais do Estado de Minas Gerais
- Brazil, Amigos da Terra Brasil
- Brazil, APIB – Articulação dos Povos Indígenas do Brasil – APIB
- Brazil, APREMAVI – Associação de Preservação do Meio Ambiente e da Vida
- Brazil, ASA – Articulação de entidades do Semi-Árido
- Brazil, ASCEMA Nacional – Associação Nacional dos Servidores Especialistas em Meio Ambiente
- Brazil, Asibama/Acre – Associação dos Servidores Ibama e ICMBio Acre
- Brazil, Associação Alternativa Terrazul
- Brazil, Campanha Antipetroleira Nem um poço a mais!
- Brazil, CEDECA Sapopemba
- Brazil, Centro de Promoção da Cidadania e Defesa dos Direitos Humanos Pe Josimo
- Brazil, CNS – Conselho Nacional das Populações Extrativistas
- Brazil, CONAQ – Coordenação Nacional de Articulação das Comunidades Negras Rurais Quilombolas
- Brazil, Congregação da Paixão de Jesus Cristo
- Brazil, CONTAG – Confederação Nacional dos Trabalhadores Rurais Agricultores e Agricultoras Familiares
- Brazil, CONTRAF – Confederação Nacional dos Trabalhadores e Trabalhadoras na Agricultura Familiar
- Brazil, CPP – Conselho Pastoral dos Pescadores
- Brazil, CPT – Comissão Pastoral da Terra
- Brazil, CUT – Central única dos Trabalhadores
- Brazil, ECO4.Santarritense
- Brazil, Ecossocialistas do Brasil
- Brazil, Engajamundo
- Brazil, FAOR – Fórum da Amazônia Oriental
- Brazil, FASE – Solidariedade e Educação
- Brazil, FMAP – Fórum de Mulheres da Amazônia Paraense
- Brazil, FNPE – Fórum Nacional Popular de Educação
- Brazil, FNU – Federação Nacional dos Urbanitários
- Brazil, Fórum Popular da Natureza
- Brazil, Frente Parlamentar Ambientalista
- Brazil, Frente Parlamentar Mista em Defesa dos Direitos dos Povos Indígenas
- Brazil, Fridays for Future Brasil
- Brazil, Fundação Avina
- Brazil, FVA – Fundação Vitória Amazônica
- Brazil, Gambá – Grupo Ambientalista da Bahia
- Brazil, GRAIN
- Brazil, Greenpeace Brasil
- Brazil, IDESAM – Instituto de Conservação e Desenvolvimento Sustentável da Amazônia
- Brazil, IEA – Instituto de Estudos Amazônicos
- Brazil, Imaflora
- Brazil, INESC – Instituto de Estudos Socioeconômicos – INESC
- Brazil, Instituo 5 Elementos – Educação para Sustentabilidade
- Brazil, Instituto Climainfo
- Brazil, Instituto de Pesquisa e Formação Indígena – Iepé
- Brazil, Instituto PACS
- Brazil, IQ/UFPA – Projeto Saúde, Cidadania e Direitos Humanos
- Brazil, ISA – Instituto Socioambiental
- Brazil, ISPN – Instituto Sociedade, População e Natureza
- Brazil, MAB – Movimento dos Atingidos por Barragens
- Brazil, Marcha Mundial das Mulheres
- Brazil, Marcha Mundial por Justiça Climática/Marcha Mundial do Clima
- Brazil, Mater Natura – Instituto de Estudos Ambientais
- Brazil, MCP – Movimento Camponês Popular
- Brazil, MNCCD – Movimento Nacional Contra Corrupção e pela Democracia
- Brazil, Movimento Nacional ODS/Sergipe
- Brazil, Movimento Saúde Mental
- Brazil, MPA – Movimentos dos Pequenos Agricultores
- Brazil, MST – Movimentos dos Trabalhadores Rurais Sem Terra
- Brazil, Observatório de Direitos Humanos dos Povos Indígenas Isolados e de Recente Contato – Opi
- Brazil, OC – Observatório do Clima
- Brazil, ONDAS – Observatório Nacional dos Direitos à Água e ao Saneamento
- Brazil, Projeto Saúde e Alegria
- Brazil, Província dos Missionários Combonianos do Brasil
- Brazil, RCA – Rede de Cooperação Amazônica
- Brazil, Rede Igrejas e Mineração
- Brazil, Semana Social Brasileira
- Brazil, SERRSMG – Sindicato dos Empregados Rurais da Região Sul de Minas Gerais
- Brazil, Sinfrajupe – Serviço Interfranciscano de Justiça, Paz e Ecologia
- Venezuela, Geografia Viva
Sub Saharan Africa
- Pan Africa Today
- Ghana, SFG – Socialist Forum of Ghana
- Kenya, Revolution Socialist League
- Kenya, World March of Women
- South Africa, ABM – Abahlali Basemjondolo
- South Africa, NUMSA – National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa
- South Africa, SRWP – Socialist Revolutionary Workers’ Party
- Tanzania, MVIWATA – MTANDAO WA VIKUNDI VYA WAKULIMA TANZANIA
- Zambia, SP – Socialist Party Zambia
- Bharain, Bahrain Women Association
- Egypt, Socialist Popular Alliance Party
- Iraq, General Students Union in the Republic of Iraq
- Iraq, Iraqi Democratic Youth Federation
- Iraq, Iraqi Women Forum
- Iraq, Iraqi Womens League
- Jordan, Arab Women Organization of Jordan
- Jordan, Jordanian Communist Party
- Jordan, Jordanian Democratic Popular Unity Party “Wihda”
- Jordan, Jordanian Peoples’ Democratic Party
- Jordan, Jordanian Women Federation “RMA”
- Jordan, League of Democratic Youth
- Lebanon, Equality of Boutros Rose for Women’s Work
- Mauritania, We Can
- Morocco, Democratic Way
- Morocco, Moroccan Association for Human Rights
- Morocco, Moroccan Association of Progressive Women
- Morocco, Moroccan League for the Defense of Human Rights
- Palestine, Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine
- Palestine, Palestinian Democratic Women “NADA”
- Palestine, Palestinian Democratic Youth Union “PDYU”
- Palestine, Palestinian Peoples Party
- Palestine, Palestinian People’s Party Youth
- Palestine, Palestinian Working Women Committees Union
- Palestine, UAWC – Union of Agricultural Work Committees
- Palestine, UPWC – Union of Palestinain Women Committes
- Syria, Syrian Women League
- Western Sahara, CODESA