OPENING REMARKS BY CHANCELLOR OF THE REPUBLIC OF NICARAGUA, AMBASSADOR DENIS MONCADA COLINDRES,
BEFORE THE ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA BY THE CHAIRMAN OF THE PERMANENT COUNCIL OF THE OAS
JANUARY 11th, 2019
1. Thank you, Mr. President, let me express my sincere congratulations in your assuming the Presidency of the Permanent Council of the OAS, in representation of the Sister Republic of El Salvador. In the performance of your duties, you can count on the support of the Delegation of Nicaragua.
2. Mr. President, the Government of the Republic of Nicaragua rejects and condemns the convening of this session, requested in urgency and immediacy by the Secretary General of this Organization, Luis Almagro, who acts as a resonating board for the perpetrators of the coup against the Constitutional and Legitimate Government of Nicaragua led by President Daniel Ortega Saavedra.
3. The Inter-American Democratic Charter does not empower any State nor the Secretary General Luis Almagro, to support the perpetrators of the coup d’état against the legally constituted State and Government of Nicaragua, nor to displace or replace the exercise of Sovereignty by the States, which is the exclusive right of sovereign States in accordance with National and International Law.
4. On the contrary, this initiative constitutes a clear violation of the OAS Charter and the principles and purposes of International Law.
5. His action aim to drag the Member States of this Organization into illegal actions against Nicaragua. Such pretentions constitute a serious and harmful precedent for the countries that are a part of the Organization of American States, because this illegal action can be advanced against any other State, transgressing the principle of non-interference and non-interventionism in matters that are within the internal jurisdiction of each State.
6. No one can forget how the people of Cuba were attacked, no one can forget how Dominican Republic was attacked and invaded by North American troops accompanied by Somoza’s troops and the military dictatorships of Latin America, no one can ignore how they have been attacking the people of Venezuela and Nicaragua. Tomorrow it may be any other country in Latin America and the Caribbean, which is unacceptable and must be categorically rejected.
7. The Secretary General seeks to manipulate in an irresponsible and ill-intentioned manner the interpretation of Article 20 of the Inter-American Democratic Charter, misconstruing the exceptional situation in which the application of this article may be invoked by the Secretary General or another Member State, which refers to cases in which only and exclusively the Government of the affected Member State cannot request a convening of the Permanent Council because there has been “an alteration to the constitutional order that has seriously affected its democratic order”, or a consummated coup d’état has overthrown the democratic government, a situation which has not happened in Nicaragua, since the attempted coup has been neutralized and defeated by the people of Nicaragua and the Government of Reconciliation and National Unity. The OAS should support the Democratically Elected Government of President Daniel Ortega Saavedra and not the perpetrators of the coup.
8. Consequently, the actions of the Secretary General are inappropriate, illegal and absurd when requesting an urgent and immediate meeting of the Permanent Council, seeking to apply article 20 of the Interamerican Democratic Charter against Nicaragua. This is not viable, it transgresses the OAS Institutionality and violates the UN and OAS Charters, the Inter-American Democratic Charter and International Law, as Secretary General Almagro aims at delegitimizing and destroying the Organization of American States, putting in disrepute the Member States with his anarchic and nihilistic performance.
9. Article 20 of the Inter-American Democratic Charter cannot be interpreted as giving it a legal meaning of displacement or substitution of the sovereignty of States, allowing the Secretary General to grant and take decisions that do not correspond to him, since they are attributions and sovereign powers of the Governments that created the Organization of American States.
10. This Meeting of the Permanent Council, held at the request of the Secretary General, is illegal and null, since it violates the Institutionality of the OAS, the UN Charter and transgresses International Law.
11. Accordingly, by adopting the Democratic Charter, the States have never expressed their wish to convert the Secretary General of this Organization into an official with supranational powers to displace, substitute or manipulate the sovereignty of the OAS Member States, nor has granted him the status of censor or sentinel, nor has he been granted the mandate to dogmatize the democracy of the Inter-American system; faculties that have not been granted to any State or group of States of this Organization.
12. In light of the previous considerations, the Government of Reconciliation and National Unity of Nicaragua affirms that the OAS Secretary General is not entitled, in the current circumstances of normality in our country, to request the immediate and urgent convening of the Permanent Council on the basis of Article 20 of the Inter-American Democratic Charter, since it has not been requested by the Government of Nicaragua, nor does it have its consent. For Nicaragua, these maneuvers are unacceptable and condemnable as they are solely aimed at destabilizing and supporting the terrorists and the perpetrators of the coup, seeking with the support of the Secretary General to carry out a regime change by way of force, seeking to break the Constitutional and Democratic order of Nicaragua.
Thank you, Mr. Chairman.
Translation by Tortilla Con Sal