The Statement of the Central Committee of the Communist Party, Turkey on July 2016
1. July 15th coup attempt has not brought ideologically conflicting centers subject to each other, but involved at least two and even more state cliques, which have identical class identities and ideologies. It is not possible that these cliques would be totally unaware of each other’s plans and actions just like it is impossible to dissociated them. However, the attempt on 15th of July is not a bloody scenario totally planned by Erdoğan as some claimed, but was a real coup attempt.
2. There are two dimensions of the path leading to the coup. First, is the “fight for power” between Erdoğan supporters and the Gülen Community which has gained a new dimension after the large purge of Gülen followers. This fight is getting deeper in both the political and economic context and also has an international dimension and different trends within the imperialist centers supporting those factions.
3. It is the reality that most of the officers who took part in the coup attempt are members of the Gülen Community and it is well known that the Community has deep and strong connections in USA. Turkey has close military relations with the USA, being a member of NATO, the coups in Turkey can not be made without the consent of the USA. And the main reason that the high ranking members of the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) who are not happy with the AKP haven’t attempted a coup was the support of the USA government to the AKP.
4. This support has been reduced recently for various reasons. Some constituents have ties to the USA and some European countries have started to prepare for Erdoğan’s purge. The uprising of the people in 2013 with the participation of millions, the mischievous affects on the interest of the system, the tension created in society by Erdoğan and finally the failure of the Syrian policy, deeply effected relations between Erdoğan and some imperialist countries. It is not possible to understand the 15th July coup attempt without taking into account this tension.
5. Coup plotters having connection abroad does not make Erdoğan a patriot or anti-imperialist. As a politician, Erdoğan largely servile to the USA and international monopolies and now he is sealing alliances and maneuvering in order to save himself as a politician, losing his grace among the powers that supported him for years. His approach to that or his international focus doesn’t change his denominational character and his ideological preferences. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is a bourgeois politician, he is an enemy of working class, he is a counter revolutionist and he is not different than the coup plotters who want to topple him.
6. The coup attempt, the powers behind it, the methods which were used and the ideological fundamentals, do not hold any point of interest for the people. The opinion that the country would have got out of difficulties if the coup had been successful is groundless. It is obvious what an pro-American, hostile to the people coup would mean.
7. It is also nonsense to present the suppression of the coup as a victory for the people and/or celebrate it as a democracy fest trailing the AKP. This is approach does not question the legality of the AKP regime and ignores the class fundamentals of the events in the country.
8. The argument that Erdoğan gained more power after this coup attempt is true to a certain extent. Without doubt, Erdoğan got a chance to inflict a heavy blow to the Gülen Community; showed himself as a victim one more time, consolidated his crowds and tested the power of some organisations associated with him. However he ended up with a seriously damaged state apparatus and he also had to face that there is no safe bureaucracy anymore because of the transitory nature of integral cliques.
9. Under these circumstances Erdoğan may prefer to stick to his own sources within the critical body of the state apparatus, Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) and Judiciary, and to purge not only the Gülen community members but also some Kemalist constituents who used to be in alliance with him. There are serious difficulties to stick totally to one’s own sources in TSK and Judiciary even if it is easier than in other parts of the bureaucracy. Erdoğan cannot make this move – which means to decelerate an Islamic state- without avoiding final and absolute revenge on both political and social levels. On the other hand Erdoğan doesn’t have any other way out to consolidate his own crowds.
10. It is possible that Erdoğan will go to great lengths to mend relations with the USA and reduce internal tension after a short period of terror and intimidation – there are already signs showing he is getting ready for those steps. Also the expectations of CHP and HDP are in this direction. The difficulty of this option is Erdoğan will not be able to continue to do politics without tension and opening a space for radical elements. Parliament opposition does not have any problem with Erdoğan and AKP.
11. In each situation there is a dissolution and multi-dimensional crisis regarding the hegemony of the capital. It’s not this dissolution but the unorganised state of the working class, which is actually dangerous.
12. Another danger is the opinion, which has become popular after the coup attempt, saying Erdoğan is undefeatable. Scary scenarios are emerging and a panic environment is being created with speculative news which are not based in reality. The AKP government has always been dangerous and it is clear that they are even more dangerous now. Additionally the panic environment which is created makes the aggression of AKP legitimate. However, neither the AKP and Erdoğan are as powerful as they claim, nor is Turkey is a country which could be destroyed in a moment. For example, during and after the “celebration”, the number of the AKP followers were few on the streets in spite of all the calls for celebrations. The right position is to be aware of the danger but not panic, and to evaluate this dissolution from the point of working classes.
13. AKP and the fundamentalist threat must not be underrated at all. The period started with the sentence “secularism is not in danger” carried the country to the edge of abyss. There is a mission for a better organised and more effective opposition of the people against that considerable threat. This mission can not be performed by creating panic. It is not acceptable that the opposition is creating panic.
14. Under these conditions the major power of AKP and Erdoğan continues to be his opponents in the political system. The politics of the system formed its policy based on normalising, transforming, convincing AKP. It is remarkable and worrying, the attitude of politicians who claim that they are the “left” wing in the parliament.
15. Experiences during and after the 15th July exposed how cruel the factions in the government can be. We watched the cruelty of the coup plotters. We saw the barbarism staged by the government. These cannot be handled by the approach of “let them kill each other”. An unknown number of citizens have been killed and private soldiers who don’t have any idea what is going on have been lynched. People will hold accountable of all who perpetrated lawless actions, lynching, torture of suspects and surrendered officers, and how the leaders of the two factions cooperated together for years until now.
16. It is not correct to describe these cruelties as “strength”. On the contrary there is dissolution, fear and confusion on the side of the government. Spreading fear can only be surpassed by strong, solid and consistent steps, not with unplanned actions. This dissolution can be turn into an opportunity for the people.
17. As we always emphasize, Turkey can only be out of woods by struggle of the working class together against the class hegemony presented by dark powers, but not through the dance of dark powers. We refuse all analysis and positioning ignoring this reality. It is obvious that Communists will not give credit to quackery of the victory of democratic powers and cunning slogans such as, ‘all come together against Erdoğan’ – ‘followers of sharia will cut our heads off’ – ‘victory of democratic powers’ – and these reveal the many dimensions of confusion. We tell again, we would never come together with representatives of the capitalist class, USA and NATO – supported coups or agents of color revolutions. This doesn’t make us weak. What makes us weak is the unorganised state of the working class and pursuing fake solutions.
18. It needs to be understood how the enmity of “organising” created a gap at the people’s side, where the Gülen Community gangs placed in government, the interest groups, the triggers and even the mafia have been very well organised in the country. If we go further, we can say that everybody who are side with humanitarian ideals, a classless society without exploitation, must work together on the common minded, sustainable organisation. To fail to do so is to be an enemy of the people, legalising carelessness and laziness. It is necessary to organise, improve, empower class struggle, free from religious sects, fundamentalism, capitalist and imperialist centers. The people don’t need politicised reactions of unorganised masses. Those gathered together, aimless and formless under the slogan of “Gezi pluralism” surely must have been learned their lesson.
19. It is the aim of the Communist Party to become an independent revolutionary organisation which can change the balance of power in the country, spoil the game, strangle reactionist lynch campaigns. Our ultimate call for working people to trust their own power, move together, take the initiative and stop helplessly following this nightmare.